Well, I have it; the fall reading for my doctoral studies. What I see here is that we will be reading poetry, innovation, civil religion, semiotics, and Jesus.‚ Oh, and we’re watching the movie “Freaks“, which is a 1930’s English black & white movie that is supposed to be quite the oddity.
Some of these you might want to check out for yourself, especially the book “Signs in Contemporary Culture”.‚ It is very interesting what Jesus said to the Pharisees in Matthew 16:1-3:
1 And the Pharisees and Sadducees came, and to test him they asked him to show them a sign from heaven. 2 He answered them, “When it is evening, you say, ‘It will be fair weather, for the sky is red.’ 3 And in the morning, ‘It will be stormy today, for the sky is red and threatening.’ You know how to interpret the appearance of the sky, but you cannot interpret the signs of the times.‚
I wonder how well we read the signs of our culture?
Anyway, here thay are:
- Bauckham, Richard. Jesus and the Eyewitnesses: The Gospels as Eyewitness Testimony.
- Berger, Arthur Asa. Signs in Contemporary Culture: An Introduction to Semiotics.
- Chamberlin, J. Edward. If This Is Your Land, Where Are Your Stories?: Reimagining Home and Sacred Space.
- Ehrenreich, Barbara. Dancing in the Streets: A History of Collective Joy.
- Heath, Chip, and Dan Heath. Made to Stick : Why Some Ideas Survive and Others Die.
- Martin, Regis. Garlands of Grace: An Anthology of Great Christian Poetry.
- Valente, Judith, and Charles Reynard. Twenty Poems to Nourish Your Soul.